How To Make Brown Rice Tastier
Whole grains are healthier and more filling than refined grains. This holds true for breads and for rice as well. However, learning to enjoy brown rice compared to enjoying whole grain bread appears much more challenging. Here’s what you can do to make your brown rice tastier.
* Make sure you’ve cooked brown rice sufficiently. It requires more water and more time compared to white rice. For every cup of rice, add 2 cups of water. After the water boils, you’ll need to simmer for at least 40 minutes. Leave your pot covered for another 10 minutes after removing from heat. Al-dente brown rice is not fun to chew.
* To get more flavor, lightly toast the brown rice grains before cooking. Pour a dash of oil into an empty pot, heat to max and stir in the brown rice. Stir every 30 seconds. After 2 minutes add boiling water. When the rice is ready, you’ll notice it is slightly more nutty in aroma and flavor.
* Instead of water, consider cooking your brown rice with vegetable or chicken stock.
* Add spices and herbs to the rice while cooking: turmeric, cinnamon, bay leaf, pepper, curry powder, etc.
* Instead of eating the rice dry, choose liquid sauces and curries to accompany the rice.
How do you do brown rice?