Are You Having Dessert for Breakfast?
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, at least for some people. Unfortunately, when analyzing its contents, we discover an unpleasant truth. Many of the standard foods we have come to associate with breakfast are as high in sugar as dessert!
In abreakfast foods are called out for what they really are:
- muffin is a cupcake
- a smoothie is really just a milkshake without the milk
- yogurt is melted ice cream
- waffles and pancakes are cookies and cakes.
An example is provided to drive the point home: A Chobani Blueberry Yogurt has 139 calories and 15 grams of sugar (just under 4 tsp). A half-cup serving of Breyer’s French Vanilla Ice Cream has 140 calories and 14 grams of sugar, less than the yogurt!
As you can imagine, processed carbs and sugars are the main culprits. Our recommendations:
– have your yogurt plain, and add freshly cut fruit to enjoy more fiber and less sugar. Yes, it will take an extra 3 minutes.
– try to avoid smoothies – eat the fruit instead. You’ll enjoy more fiber, and no blood glucose spikes
– drink your coffee or tea without any added sugars
– get your calories from proteins and healthy fats – eggs, nuts, plain yogurt, and plain milk.
Time to rethink breakfast?